What is Wikimedia Incubator?
- Wikimedia Incubator, founded on 2 June 2006, is a wiki-based website hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organisation which also hosts Wikipedia and other projects.
Start your own wiki!
- Incubator serves as a platform where anyone can build up a community in a certain language edition of a Wikimedia project (Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikinews, Wikiquote and Wikivoyage) that does not yet have its own subdomain, provided that it is a recognized language. These so-called "test wikis" on Incubator can be used like any other real wiki. When the community desires so, they can request to move to an own subdomain through the [$meta requests for new languages] process. The decision is made by the Language committee.
- Wikiversity and Wikisource tests are hosted on different wikis: beta.wikiversity.org and wikisource.org respectively.
- Wikimedia Incubator is unique in the sense that it is not a real content project like Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, nor an organizational project like Meta-Wiki, which coordinates the different Wikimedia Foundation projects.
- When reading, using, or contributing to Incubator, please read the pages [policy] and General disclaimer.
- If you want to know more about the internal working of Incubator, you can read our frequently asked questions at Help:FAQ. Other help is at Help:Contents.
What is Wikimedia Incubator not?
- Although closed subdomains are often moved back to Incubator so they can re-build a community, Incubator is not a dumping project that hosts abandoned projects.
- Although Incubator is a special project, it should not be regarded as a "behind the scenes" project.