The Matrix (1999)
- "The Trinity? ... Jesus"
"I just thought ... you were a guy."
"Most guys do."
- "Þes is insane. Iċ ne mæġ dōn this!"
- "Eom ic déad?"
"Far from it."
- "Well ... that sounds like a pretty good deal. But I think I may have a better one. How about, I give you the finger ... and you give me my phone call."
- "Why do my eyes hurt?"
"You've never used them before."
- "Ic cann kung fu."
- "I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid… afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell how it's going to begin."
- "I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them ... a world without rules or controls, borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you."
- "Deja vu."
- "Mín nama… is… Neo!"
- "Mr. Wizard! Get me the hell out of here!"
- "Lieutenant, you were given specific orders"
- "You have a problem with authority, Mr. Anderson."
- "It seems that you've been living two lives. One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company. You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you...help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the hacker alias 'Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not."
- "We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation in bringing a known terrorist to justice."
- "What use is a phone call if you are unable to speak?"
- "I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet."
- "Gé sind uncoða, and wé, sind séo lácnung."
- "I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole."
- "You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth."
- "Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."
- "I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."
- "You take the blue pill, the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill...and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."
- "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?"
- "Welcome to the real world."
- "What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply, electrical signals interpreted by your brain."
- "Welcome to the desert of the real."
- "Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."
- "I didn't say that it would be easy, Neo. I just said that it would be the truth."
- "As you no doubt have guessed, I am Morpheus."
- "Don't think you are, know you are."
- "Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?"
- "Come on! Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"
- "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
- "You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind."
- "The body cannot live without the mind."
- "The Matrix is a system Neo, that system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see?. Business man, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, this people are still part of that system, and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand most of this people are not ready to be unplugged, and many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependant on that system, that they will fight to protect it. Were you listening to me Neo, or were you looking at the woman in the red dress?"
- "Wake up Neo."
- "Follow the white rabbit."
- "I know why you're here, Neo. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for him. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did."
"What is the Matrix?"
- "You have been down there Neo, you know that road, you know exactly where it ends. And I know that's not where you want to be."
- "Neo ... nobody has ever done this before."
"I know. That's why it's going to work."
- "Dodge this!"
- "Séo andswaru is þǽrút, Néo, and héo sécþ þec, and héo findeþ þec gif þu þæt wilt."
- "If you'd told us the truth, we would've told you to shove that red pill right up your ass!"
- "Just between you and me, you don't believe it, do you? You don't believe this guy is The One?"
- "It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye."
- "Good shit, huh? Dozer Makes it. It's good for two things: degreasing engines and killing brain cells."
- "I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here: Why, oh why, didn't I take the Blue pill?"
- "I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? — Ignorance is bliss. "
- "I think we can handle one little girl. I sent two units, they're bringing her down now."
"No, lieutenant, your men are already dead."
- "I think Morpheus knows things that I don't."
- "That's impossible!"
- "You ever have that feeling where you're not sure if you're awake or still dreaming?"
"Yeah, all the time. It's called mescaline. It's the only way to fly."
- "How do the machines know what Tastee Wheat tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tastee Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal, or tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken, for example: maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything!"
- "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
- "I'd ask you to sit down, but, you're not going to anyway. And don't worry about the vase."
- "What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything?"
- "Believe it or not, you piece of shit, you're still going to burn!"
- "Never send a human to do a machine's job."
- "So what do you need? Besides a miracle."
"Guns. Lots of guns."
- "The informant is real."
- Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Néo: What truth? Spoon boy: Þǽr is nán cucler. Néo: Þǽr is nán cucler? Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
- Neo (Thomas A. Anderson): Keanu Reeves
- Morpheus: Laurence Fishburne
- Trinity: Carrie-Anne Moss
- Agent Smith: Hugo Weaving
- Cypher: Joe Pantoliano
- Oracle: Gloria Foster
- Mouse: Matt Doran