Ho zaun asa Wiktionaricho Tinto! Hangasor akhea somudaien Wiktionary vixim bhasabhas korunk zata.
हो जावन आसा विक्शनरीचो टींटो! हांगासर आख्या समुदायेन विक्शनरी विशीं भासाभास करुंक जाता।
Thanks for setting this up
Why we need to be discussing here
Over the past 2-3 days, some of us interested in setting up a Konkani Wiktionary have set up a small WhatsApp group, and have been discussing issue there. While WhatsApp might be a useful way to stay in touch, discuss while on the go, and brainstorm, as a fora it also has certain limitations. @The Discoverer has rightly pointed out in a WhatsApp post: "If we take any decision here [on WhatsApp], people from Wikimedia can't see that there has been a discussion process behind it. Secondly, they don't know how active the community is if we keep discussing here. So can we continue to have some informal chatter here [on WhatsApp], but let the Tinto be the mainstay, specially for important discussions?" Just sharing this point of view, and saying I agree with it fully. Guys, if you're serious about a Konkani Wiktionary, please come here often and post your comments. PS: Currently, there are 13 participants on the WhatsApp group, which was founded among those who showed an interest in such technical and Wiktionary-related issues -- Fr Luis, Isidore Dantas 1, The Discoverer, Ananth, Animesh, Darshan and me (Fredericknoronha). --Fredericknoronha (talk) 11:40, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
Update of what was discussed
This is a kind of summary (may not be comprehensive, or fully accurate) of what was discussed on the WhatsApp group so far:
- The focus of the group is to discuss Konkani Wiktionary issues. Only on-topic, only polite discussions pls:: @Fredericknoronha
- Some discussions on which platform could help -- Wiktionary, WordNet, WordWeb or Ding :: Multiple discussants
- Proposed to start with Konkani Wiktionary in the incubator. :: @The Discoverer
- Konkani Wiktionary Test wiki info page created by @The Discoverer :: http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wt/gom
- Darshan, Fr Luis, Isidore, Fredericknoronha and The Discoverer added as community members. And @Banduji.
- Simple main page created by @The Discoverer. https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wt/gom/Wiktionary:Tinto
- Requirements to launch Wiktionary: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_proposal_policy :: @The Discoverer
- Please express your support here: https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wiktionary_Konkani
- MediaWiki core messages need translation: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Manual
- At present, only 18% of Mediawiki-core is is translated into Konkani.
- Request to Isidore Dantas1 to help with http://translatewiki.net and Konkani there
- Specimen of a short entry: Wt/gom/Antenatal
- Discussion over language use, whether English-to-Konkani entries okay.
- See examples from other Wiktionaries (for the layout of pages): Usually, the first is a definition of the word in the language of a particular Wiktionary, and below is the translation in other languages. I think sometimes they also have example sentences. They also give references. (Update: See below section regarding entry layout) --The Discoverer.
- Example of a Wiktionary page: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Konkani (with meanings, synonyms, etc)
- Let's get moving. If we have 10 volunteers offering to input 10 words a day, we could be on track. Then, the language experts could correct and improve those words. (I'm seeing an opportunity in copyright-expired dictionaries and Creative Common-ed dictionaries, like Isidore's.) At the same time, we can ask Isidore and others to translate the tech strings awaiting translation at the site mentioned above. ::Fredericknoronha
- Need to standardise page structure (entry layout). To avoid the need to rework later.
- Requirements for a Konkani Wiktionary listed here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new-languages/Wiktionary_Konkani
- Suggested with start with smaller, do-able goals: 10 volunteers each pledging to do 10 words a day. Maybe an initial target of a basic, 3000-word Wiktionary.
- Need to have discussions on the Wiktionary Tinto (for openness, and record). See above.
- Statistics for the Konkani Wiktionary (under incubation) are as follows https://tools.wmflabs.org/meta/catanalysis/index.php?cat=0&title=wt/gom&wiki=incubatorwiki --Fredericknoronha (talk) 12:19, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
Strot / Sources
We are fortunate to have some free sources available for the Konkani Wiktionary. I have listed some sources that we can use at the following location: Wt/gom/Wiktionary:Strot. Please go through them, make use of them and add any other sources that you know of. The Discoverer (talk) 12:39, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
Name for the Konkani Wiktionary
We have to select a name for the Konkani Wiktionary. Some options that I would throw in are: Wiktionary, Wikxonar, Wiki-utravoll, Wikixobdkox. Please give your opinions. The Discoverer (talk) 16:46, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
Please go through the Entry Layout guide of the English Wiktionary and try to imbibe the main principles when creating entries in the Konkani Wiktionary. In particular see the section 'A very simple example' to understand the basics.
I suggest that as a bare minimum we use level 2 headings (two equal signs) to mark sections for each language we are giving the meaning in. Also, please place your entry either in Category:Wt/gom/Konknni utram or Category:Wt/gom/Inglez utram.