Welcome to Wikimedia Incubator!
At the right there are some important links, and here are some tips and info:
- If you haven't created a user page yet, please create one with for example Babel templates on it.
- You can select your interface language in your preferences.
- If you make articles, templates or categories, don't forget to add a prefix!
- If your knowledge of English is good, you can help with translating pages to other languages you know, so more people can understand it!
- If you want to translate the interface, please go to Translatewiki.net and follow the instructions.
-- Welcoming Bot 08:05, 29 December 2017 (UTC)
Greetings Mr Zanović,
Nice to meet you.
Could you kindly help check this article and help fix any grammatical errors in Montenegrin?
Dobrodošlica i velji pozdrav[edit source]
Copyvio and block[edit source]
My apologies for writing in English.
You have been accused of copyright violations on the Montenegrin Wikipedia test project. Since you have been indef blocked for behavior like this on Commons, I find the accusations plausible. If I discover they are accurate, you will be blocked, and potentially banned. Please correct these violations immediately. Thank you. StevenJ81 (talk) 17:47, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
- He’s not banned, only yet indefblocked for wrong claims and ignoring justifiable community concerns. Incnis Mrsi (talk) 17:58, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
The withdrawn article was written based on the text published in the magazine Lingua Montenegrina, wich was quoted as a reference, wherebly there were also differences between these two texts. I am the author of the text in the magazine that was quoted in the article, thus I could not see in which way this article could be proclamed as a plagiarist. --Zanović (talk) 20:08, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
- "Plagiarism" and "copyright violation" overlap, but they're not the same thing.
- To the best of my knowledge—and I tried to check as carefully as I could—the citations were identical, not even "almost identical". For that reason, the potential for copyright violation exists.
- As long as the copy was published in Lingua Montenegrina, that publication presumably owns publication rights to what was there. In order for the written material to be used directly (as opposed to merely cited), the information must be made available under substantially the same licensing arrangements as exist on Wikipedia (see bottom of the page). That means either (a) there must be documentation showing that Lingua Montenegrina is willing to provide the information on that basis, or (b) provide documentation that you own the copyright yourself, and state on the talk page that you are making the information available on that basis.
- Really, you are better off paraphrasing and citing rather than copying. I'm sorry if that's too much effort, but that's what you need to do.
- I would add: because of your history at Commons, we cannot assume you will respect copyright law. You have created the extra burden of proof on yourself. StevenJ81 (talk) 20:27, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
First of all, by accessing the cited link you could see that I am a member of the Editorial Board of Lingua Montenegrina. Or, perhaps, this is not sufficient for you to accept that this is not a copyright violation? Secondly, my history at Commons shows that all objections apart from yours are related to the upload of photos, not the contents of the articles. As an editor of about 150 books in the field of Montenegrin history and culture I took most of the photos from the books for which I myself was the editor-in-chief. Many of these photos were given to me, as the editor, for print purposes, by the authors of the books themselves, and I took some of those photos myself as well. Instead of creating “unwanted” associates and blocking authors, given your position in the system and, I assume, mutual desire to enrich the contents of Wikipedia, I think it would be better if you explained to me the manner in which I can prove that there is no copyright violation in using the contents I myself edited and for whose use I have the authorization of the publisher.
- The community of Wikimedia Commons tracks the situation. Undeletion of images by Zanović is possible on conditions:
- Photographs taken by Mr. Zanović in person must be segregated from those “given to the editor, for print purposes, by the authors of the books themselves”.
- Mr. Zanović has to certify, using the full Email template, that he owns all the rights to the images to be undeleted.
- An Email address affiliated with Lingua Montenegrina should be used for that (due to history of publications).
- There is no need to send photos themselves or upload them again; they can be undeleted. Regards, Incnis Mrsi (talk) 23:19, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
Dear Incnis Mrsi, thank you for the info. I have just been informed that the copyright holder (Faculty for Montenegrin Language and Literature) has just sent you an email with rights clearance. I hope this is sufficient to resolve the issue. Thanks and BR, --Zanović (talk) 12:10, 18 January 2018 (UTC)
- With respect to textual content, you need to do the same thing, more or less. You would need to certify that the publication Lingua Montenegrina and the website have granted you all rights to use the text in question, and in particular to republish it under the terms required on Wikimedia sites.
- I am not sure if copyright law is simply more lax in Montenegro than it is in the United States. Here in the US, just because you are a meember of an editorial board, and just because you state that someone has given you permission to use something, doesn't mean that you have established that permission sufficiently. StevenJ81 (talk) 23:30, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
Really basic request[edit source]
Zanović, would you mind telling me the Montenegrin words for
Dear StevenJ81, I believe that the period of my blockage was expired, so I kindly ask you to activate my profile again. Btw, I hope that you received the email of the Faculty of Montenegrin Language and Literature which confirms that I have permission to use the materials and photographs from their website and their editions. Best regards, --Zanović (talk) 17:36, 20 January 2018 (UTC)
- StevenJ81 is in charge for this site, Incubator (texts), but not for Wikimedia Commons affairs (images). Don’t know what is going about texts, but the request about portraits is processed by the Commons OTRS service. You will be informed about resolution via the user talk page here. Incnis Mrsi (talk) 18:39, 20 January 2018 (UTC)