Letter to potential Saraiki Wikipedia editors
Hello. I am writing to inform you that a Saraiki Wikipedia has just been started. Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that you can edit, and there have been Wikipedias in many languages, such as English, Hindi, Sindhi, Pashto, Punjabi, Farsi and Gujarati.
We wish for your help in making the Saraiki Wikipedia as successful as those. We hope that this will help preserve the unique and special language and culture of Kutch.
You can access the Saraiki Wikipedia at https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/skr/پہلا_پرت
Many thanks for your time, and we hope you can help. --RAChitrali 04:44, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
اڄ دے ایں ترقی یافتہ دور وچ اگر کوئی پچھوں رہ ڳئی اے او قوم سرائیکی ہے ایندی سب توں وݙی وجہ سرائیکی وسیب دے منتخب یا سیلیکٹڈ نمائندے ہن اے نمائندے اتھاں تاں وݙے وݙے دعوے کریندن مگر لہور ونڄ تے اے نمائندے اپݨا پیٹ بھرݨ سانگے ہتھ مریندن نا کہ سرائیکی قوم دے حقوق دی ڳالھ کریندن ایہے نمائندے کروڑاں دے
حساب نال وکدن مگر انہاں دے سپورٹر انہاں سیلفی تے خوش رہندن سرائیکی قوم دا دیرینہ مطالبہ سرائیکی صوبہ ہے مگر اے نمائندے وک ویندن شہزاد سرائیکی (talk) 15:28, 30 August 2019 (UTC)
Approval issue for the community
On the one hand, I apologize for this being in English. However, this discussion will have to happen in English in order for LangCom to understand and be able to act.
LangCom started having an expert look at this project, and was discouraged to find that the first couple of pages the expert checked appeared to be in Urdu. Granted, they were on Saraiki subjects. But the text language was Urdu. A LangCom member then ran a few pages through Google Translate, and found that Google Translate was creating readable translations using Urdu as the source language.
We have a real problem here, particularly given that some of the principals here were involved in some issues around Khowar Wikipedia a couple of years ago. We need to understand why it appears that this content is in Urdu, rather than Saraiki. Thank you for your prompt attention.
- Dear, Saraiki is different language from Urdu,Saraiki have some unique alphabet which are not used in Urdu. Thousands of Saraiki words are entire different from Urdu. Grammar of both languages are different. Because in google translate Saraiki language is not supported so it was detected as Urdu. Language Com: may also contact to Urdu experts as well Saraiki experts for the confirmation of this Wikipedia. There are hundreds of experts for this language. This Wikipedia is in Saraiki language. It is in not in Urdu language. So this be approved please. Community is waiting its approval.Sraiki (talk) 14:48, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
- My question, Sraiki, is whether there are also thousands of Saraiki words that are the same as Urdu words.
- Understand that if Saraiki is partly different and partly the same as Urdu, then Google translate should sometimes work and sometimes not work when translating Saraiki. So far, that doesn't seem to be what we are seeing.
- Also, potentially contributors to this test have imported pages from Urdu Wikipedia intending to translate them to Saraiki. But if they have not translated them yet, and the pages are still in Urdu, then the content here will look like Urdu. StevenJ81 (talk) 15:43, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
- @User:StevenJ81 Yes thousands of words in Saraiki and Urdu are common. But Google translate don't support Saraiki. In Google translate Saraiki is not included. Yes some articles are translated from Urdu, so this may occur. In my view 99% is correct translated in to Saraiki. Few paras may be untranslated.Sraiki (talk) 15:48, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
Honourable Mr Steven, due to similarity in writing script, there is visual similarity between the most of Pakistani languages and Urdu including Saraiki , because all Pakistani languages except Sindhi, are written in perso-arabic or in other words Shahmukhi script. Due to similarity of writing scripts and lack of work on dictionaries of these languages on Google, Google can't recognise most of Pakistani languages and calculate all these as Urdu except those languages which have been completely worked out with grammar and dictionaries on Google. But this work is in progress for Saraiki at Google and Google has included Saraiki in its android keyboard available at play store. The thousands of common words between Urdu and Saraiki don't matter because the Saraiki grammer is entirely different from it . Saraiki language has thousands of common words between Sindhi, Punjabi, balochi , Hindi, Sanskrit but it's unique grammar proves its own identity. Another major difference from all Pakistani languages of Saraiki is its own 5 special alphabets which are not available in other Pakistani languages but these all are used in all Saraiki Wikipedia pages which can be checked and verified. The hundreds of the pages made by me are translated from Urdu Wikipedia pages with titles. If they are in similar language then it was not necessary to translate these from Urdu. If there are some pages in Urdu language in Saraiki Wikipedia written by non Saraiki editors, then we will search and rectify or correct those but overall, all pages of Saraiki Wikipedia are written in standard Saraiki language. Thanks and regards. Engr.ismailbhutta 13:40, 9 October 2019 (UTC)